We're always looking for some new snack options. While we love the old standbys like crackers and 'Os,' if we can switch snack time up with a veggie, I feel like we earn nutrition bonus points for the day. (Points we will surely lose the following day...when we refuse everything except fruit chewy snacks...off the floor.) So, knowing we can use a shot of vitamins and fiber anytime we can get one, we've put together a quick list of some pretty easy veggie snacks that have actually made it into my toddlers' bellies.
2. Spinach Chips - A little salt and pepper and a few minutes in the oven is all you need to turn spinach into crispy and delicious little snacks. Take a look at a simple recipe here at Cooking Books for the time and temp.
3. Carrot Cake Cupcakes - Who doesn't love carrot cake? We especially love Ellie Krieger's Carrot Cake Cupcakes. Although they may fall slightly more into the dessert category than the vegetable category (especially if going on taste alone), they are a pretty healthy option considering the recipe calls for whole wheat flour and applesauce along with the shredded carrots.
5. Cucumber Slices - Again, something about cold and crunchy (when they have enough teeth) is often irresistible to toddlers. Try peeling them first and serving them sliced.
6. Sweet Potatoes - This baby food favorite transitions nicely into a toddler snack (or side dish) favorite. Alexia All Natural brand makes a variety of frozen treats, from waffle fries to tater tots. Quick warning, you might want to make a few extra for yourself.
|Source: Alexia Foods|
7. Fruit and Veggie Pouches - You could make home purees, too, but for a quick grab-and-go, these Plum pouches are wonderful. I hope my boys never stop loving them...ok, well maybe by high school we might outgrow them. In the summer, we keep them in the refrigerator, and they make a good cold snack after running around outside.
8. Roasted Root Vegetable Candy - Yet another great recipe by the Pioneer Woman. The bite size pieces are perfect for little fingers. These would also be great straight from the fridge the following day.
Looking for more Toddler Food Ideas? Check out the "Feed Us!" section of this blog for more toddler-approved breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner recipes!